Saturday, March 6, 2010

Pear, Walnut, and Feta Salad


Salad is not normally something I get too excited about... I like it, sure, but I usually throw one together as an afterthought when I realize I should have something green with my meal. This, however, is one crave-able salad. My friend Martha made this for a dinner party a few weeks ago. The original recipe called for blue cheese, but Martha made a brilliant swap-out for feta. The dressing is really bright, and all of the textures and flavors are well balanced. This has become my go-to salad for company. People actually ask for seconds of this! Even people who aren't really "salad people". Give it a try, and don't skimp on the feta...

Pear, Walnut, and Feta Salad
adapted from epicurious

Dressing:
3 tbs. fresh lemon juice
1 tbs. Dijon mustard
1 tbs. shallot, minced fine
1 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme (or 1 tsp. dried thyme)
1/2 cup olive oil
salt and pepper


Salad:
1 bag mixed baby greens
1 large ripe pear, halved, cored, and thinly sliced
1/2 cup crumbled feta
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped

Directions:
Whisk first four salad dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil, then season to taste with salt and pepper.

Toss greens with just enough dressing to coat, then top with pear, feta, and walnuts. Divide into bowls and serve with remaining dressing.

Makes about 4 servings.

Download a printable recipe.
.

No comments: